By Bruce H Shelton M.D., M.D. (h), DiHom, FBIH, Phoenix Arizona
In 2002, we first published an article in Explore! magazine entitled “Homotoxicology and Calcium EDTA Chelation, A summary of 49 patients Undergoing this New Unique Protocol.” A second article published in Explore in 2003 entitled “Update Report on Homotoxicology and Calcium EDTA Chelation followed this. A summary on 63 patients undergoing this new unique protocol, answering questions on WHAT ABOUT MERCURY? And did you see the New England Journal Article on Jan 23rd 2003?” This article is a continuation of that same set of data collection, which now has been expanded to 274 patients who have received Chelation during the period 2001-2008. The findings are surprising in an unexpected number of ways.
A. DO PATIENTS STAY WITH THE PROCESS FOR THE LONG TERM?
- 150 of the 274 patients or 54.7% only received Ten IVs over ten weeks and stopped getting IVs
- 73 of the 274 patients or 26.5% received twenty IVs over twenty-thirty weeks and stopped getting IVs
- 31 of the 274 patients or 11.3% received thirty IVs and are still getting them sporadically
- 11 of the 274 patients or 4% received forty IVs and are still getting them sporadically
- 7 of the 274 patients or 2.5% received fifty IVs and are still getting them sporadically
- 1 of the 274 patients received 120 IVs and is still getting them sporadically
Therefore, only 1 out 4 patients that begin the Chelation process believe in the process strongly enough to make it part of their lifestyle and continue it for the long term.
B. WHICH METALS ARE THE MOST, EXCRETED?
According to the Data submitted with this article which is a summary of the Doctors Data Urine Collection reports the top ten metals that are excreted in largest amounts (As a simple sum of all the amounts on all of the reports) based on the Data are:
- Arsenic 12,916 units
- Nickel 5,270 units
- Lead 4,796 units
- Aluminum 3,559 units
- Cadmium 873 units
- Mercury 584 units
- Bismuth 166 units
- Tungsten 80.7 units
- Thallium 53.7 units
- Antimony 23.8 units
It needs to be noted that these patients all live in Arizona where Arsenic is used in large amounts in crop dusting the cotton fields and other pesticides used in agriculture and Arsenic can find its way into the water supply
C. WHAT IS THE CURRENT HEALTH OF ALL OF THESE PATIENTS?
It must be pointed out that when the patients stop their IVs, they cease being ongoing patients of our practice and move on presumably to practices of other doctors and their current health conditions aren’t known. Of the 60 patients that still receive IVs sporadically we can report that NONE of them have been newly diagnosed with Cardiac events or Malignancy and several of them are cardiac event survivors and cancer survivors and attribute their Chelation therapy as having prevented reoccurrences of previous problems. We aren’t aware that any of the 274 patients have had these types of problems as we would have received requests for record releases if a new physician needed them for hospitalization information. This isn’t however a good basis on which to assume that no problems have occurred. We need to find the time and resources to create a questionnaire and attempt to do a true survey to accompany another report.
D. WHY DO PATIENTS STOP THEIR THERAPY?
The answer to this question is a matter of the authors opinion but its obvious that there are three main reasons.
1. The expense of this type of therapy is simply too much for the current average American to afford for a non-insured healthcare benefit. Most patients, when saying good bye, do so extremely apologetically saying that Chelation made them feel better but they simply can’t afford to proceed at the present time. If insurance paid for it they would definitely continue.
2. They didn’t realize that this was such a long term project and they simply can’t budget the time to come in for IVs and swallow all the supplements. They simply get tired of the process and after doing it for 3-6 months and realize that they need to commit years come to the conclusion that preventive medicine asks too much of their time. By this time in their treatment, the main problem that brought them in (some type of chronic infection, allergy, chronic fatigue etc) has resolved 90%, if not completely, and they feel well enough to move on with their lives without needing to pump every molecule of toxic heavy metals out of their bodies. They go away happy but can’t buy into the theory that ongoing health maintenance is the step needed for true longevity. Again if insurance would cover this care, they would possibly reconsider their decisions but they shake our hands and say good bye appreciatively.
3. Some patients see the Doctors Data report and see LARGER amounts of metals than was present on the report done prior to their therapy and simply cant understand that they have EXCRETED those extra metals as a result of the treatment. They believe that they have somehow gotten more metals into their bodies and by stopping treatment the metals will go away. This is admittedly an error in communication and fortunately only occurs in a very small minority of patients. If there were only a test to show patients what they still have inside of them, it would allow us to set goals of therapy needs but unfortunately we can only show them what’s coming out and not what’s still inside.
E. WHAT IS THE PROTOCOL THAT WE USE?
Our IV formula is attached to the article as is our full supplement protocol and it is indeed more than is expected of the classic ACAM protocol. It represents a Combination of the Basic Oral Calcium EDTA formulas from longevity plus, 9 Homotoxicology supplements, 5 Pleo-Sanum supplements, Vitamin C, Boluoke and Wobenzyme, Corvalen for its Ribose.
In addition we ask our patients to have ongoing evaluations on our Biomeridian BioRep exams and give them their appropriate Homeopathic remedies.
It’s a complicated system, which is usually developed for the patient because of a complicated health problem as the majority of our patients don’t come in simply for Chelation.